Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Tartine Tuesday: Egg Salad Tartines

My Dad is here visiting for the next few weeks, and he graciously lugged a suitcase full of all of the things from my "Bring from the USA" list.

Here are some of the things that were on that list:

Theraflu
Mascara
Winter Clothes
Stuff from Amazon.com
Yellow Mustard

With the start of the winter flu season, I asked for a hefty supply of my favorite go-to cold remedy... Theraflu (and I've already used one this week)... thanks Mom for sending 3 boxes! Mascara is inconceivably expensive here at around $16-20 for even the cheapest brands, so I asked for 2. Of course, I needed all my winter coats, stockings, and sweaters that wouldn't fit in my suitcases this past July. There were a few goodies I bought for myself from Amazon.com... a sharpening stone for my knives, yoga mat, knife guards, etc. And lastly, and somewhat most importantly, yellow mustard.

I feel bad being one of those people who needs something, especially food related, from home. I'm living in France, I should drink their wine, eat their cheese, and use their mustard. I can drink their wine, and definitely eat their cheese, but when it comes to their mustard, I just can't. One, some of the French mustards will literally kick you into next year. Talk about opening up your sinuses. And two, being the foodie that I am, there are just a few things that I refuse to make unless I have yellow mustard. One, is deviled eggs, and another is egg salad.

Hard Boiled Egg, Chopped

I refuse to pay the outrageous price of 5-7 Euros for a teensie weensie little jar of yellow mustard here. I've looked all over at discount grocery stores and random shops trying to find a decently priced jar of yellow mustard, but have been without luck. There are a couple of "American" grocery stores here, Thanksgiving and The Real McCoy, and I'm sure that's where I'll find the cheapest prices, but I figured since my Dad was already on his way here, he could just toss a bottle in his suitcase.

Perfect timing for me, because now I can make these:

Egg Salad Tartines

Egg Salad Tartines

6 slices of sprouted wheat bread, toasted
3 large eggs
1/2 of a small red onion, minced
1 small bunch of chives, chopped
2-3 tablespoons mayonnaise
1-2 tablespoon mustard
salt and pepper, to taste


To hard-boil the eggs, place the eggs in a pot and fill with cold water until the eggs are just completely covered. Place over medium high heat. Once the water starts to boil, remove from the heat, cover and set a timer for 13 minutes. Once the 13 minutes are up, pour the hot water out of the pot and fill with cold water to stop the eggs from cooking. Once the eggs are cooled you can store them in the fridge until you need them. If you need to, you can do this a day or two in advance.

Peel and roughly chop the hard boiled eggs. Place into a bowl with the mayonnaise, mustard, and a few pinches of the chopped chives. Mix gently to combine (taste as you go, you may like your egg salad a little more mustard-y or a little more mayo-y). Salt and pepper to taste. 

Place egg salad on top of the toasted slices of sprouted wheat bread and top with minced red onion and chopped chives. Serves 2.

7 comments:

  1. I love egg salad :) When I lived in Belgium, everyone had to bring peanut butter when they visited :) And maybe a bag of Chex Mix if they were staying over a week :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. beautiful photos..I love your presentation,you made the egg salad look so elegant.. I love egg salad btw :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, first of all, I laughed aloud when I read your blog's name. What can I say? I'm a sucker for puns.

    Second, these look absolutely incredible. They may turn into my Sunday afternoon snack ...

    ReplyDelete
  4. @The Food Hound - Peanut butter is almost non-existent here too! It's so funny the things we miss when we're abroad!

    @Olive - Thank you! Just tried to snazz it up a bit, ya know!? ;)

    @Rich - Hehe, yeah it's pretty puntastic. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How awesome of dad! Love the colors of the purple.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Five to seven euros for a bottle of yellow mustard? I need to move to Europe and start a business there. Get some kind of mustard monopoly going.

    ReplyDelete