Thursday, July 22, 2010

Chemically speaking, chocolate really is the world's perfect food. - Michael Levine

Yesterday I experienced Chocolate Heaven.

Last winter, when I was in Paris, I came across a fancy little tea shop along Rue de Rivoli called Angelina. I probably would have just passed this place by if it wasn't for the line of people wrapped around the block waiting for whatever was inside. I tried to get a closer look to see what all the fuss was about, but all of the window displays and menus were obstructed by pea coat and mitten-wearing tourists. I didn't think too much of it, I knew I eventually would be back, so I made a mental note of the name of the place and went on my merry way.

 
 


It just so happened that a friend later told us that this place has the best hot chocolate in Paris(if not the world), and if we ever get the chance, we MUST go. MENTAL NOTE: Return to Angelina. We didn't get a chance to make it back there over Christmas, but yesterday... WE DID. It was the perfect day to go, as it was actually a little cold and gloomy. Hot chocolate was the perfect thing to warm us up.

I wanted to take full advantage of this experience, so I made it a doubly chocolate event. I ordered, in French, chocolat chaud à l’ancienne(hot chocolate) et macalon chocolat noir(dark chocolate long-macaron). They bring the hot chocolate to you in it's own little pitcher, and for Quentin and I, a two person order of chocolat chaud was more than enough. We each had two full cups, which unbelievably for me, was almost too much. They also bring you a side of whipped creme, so you can add as much or as little as you'd like.

 
 

As Quentin poured my first cup, just the sight of the dark, thick, rich chocolate started to make my mouth water. I was like a kid in Chocolate Heaven... Wait, who was I kidding? I was like any person of any age in Chocolate Heaven. I took my first sip. I was like drinking liquid chocolate cake. So smooth, so rich, so absolutely delicious. The smile on my face went ear to ear. Then a bite of the macalon, a completely different chocolate experience. Crumbly and delicate, yet, gooey and creamy, and unmistakeably chocolate. I devilishly dipped the macalon in the hot chocolate. Ok, I'll be blunt. Orgasm in my mouth.


After two cups each and half of the macalon I was actually, and I hate to say it... in chocolate overload. It was all in all a little expensive(about 7 euros for the hot chocolate), unbelievably chocolatey, and absolutely 100% worth it.

So, if you ever get the chance to come to Paris, and I'm still here... I will take you there. If I'm not here... treat yourself to the best hot chocolate in Paris. You will not regret it(unless you don't like chocolate, and in that case, why are we even friends? Just kidding...).


Angelina
226 Rue de Rivoli
75001 Paris, France

3 comments:

  1. mmmm.. chocolate. i'm booking my plane ticket now... miss you my love!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Come visit!!!! I will take you there!!! I miss you too!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete